Featured Post

Welcome to the Forensic Multimedia Analysis blog (formerly the Forensic Photoshop blog). With the latest developments in the analysis of m...

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Setting Up Colour in CS4

A few folks have e-mailed recently to ask about Colour Settings in Photoshop CS4 - wanting to know how my settings looked.

Well, here they are.


I've chosen the Fewer Options view for this snapshot, as there are just two items that I wanted to focus on - the RGB and CMYK values.

For RGB, many photographers and popular NAPP instructors will tell you to choose Adobe RGB (1998). While that may be fine for photography, it's not always the best for what we do. We want to make sure that we don't clip colours - thus we want the largest gamut possible. That's ProPhotoRGB.

On the CMYK side, I do a lot of direct-to-digital printing and my provider prefers the US Sheetfed Coated v2 setting.

If you are working in a completely colour managed environment, you'll have custom profiles to use. But for my mobile work station (the handy MacBookPro), the settings shown above work just fine.

No comments: