Featured Post

Welcome to the Forensic Multimedia Analysis blog (formerly the Forensic Photoshop blog). With the latest developments in the analysis of m...

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Lossless compression

A reader writes in to ask about file formats that support lossless compression. Here are the choices that Photoshop CS4 presents when saving an 8bpc file with no layers.


The main consideration when choosing a format (for me) is the person(s) who will be opening the file on the other end. Am I sharing it with an attorney? Then I need to send a file that can be viewed on a regular business desktop - like PDF. Am I sending it to a colleague for review? Then I can send a PSD or TIFF. PDF, TIFF, PSD, JPEG2000, and PostScript language file formats all support lossless compression. Thankfully, Photoshop gives you the ability to work with all of these.

No comments: