Featured Post

Welcome to the Forensic Multimedia Analysis blog (formerly the Forensic Photoshop blog). With the latest developments in the analysis of m...

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Scott Kelby's 7 Point System - reviewed

Scott's done it again. His latest book on the market is Scott Kelby's 7-Point System for Adobe Photoshop CS3

The Photoshop elite are starting to get it ... finally. In the introductory pages, he mentions that he wants to change the way Photoshop is taught. An outstanding development. I have sat in on enough of the typical Photoshop training sessions to know that this is a great step forward. I've watched eyes glaze and law enforcement folks fall to sleep whilst the presenter goes on with the "imagine the possibilities" speech. Its tough to imagine the possibilities when you are still struggling with the tools. It seems that Scott is making a move to change that. I can only say, amen.

The book is packed full of examples. He takes an image and works each from start to finish. Each image is typical, from a photographer's problem point of view. (I know what you are thinking ... I'd like to see what he can do with this 352x240 crap from my local gas station. I'm sure he'd do just fine.) He walks you through the problems and his solutions towards a great looking image. 

I have long preached, and I teach, a work flow model of approaching Photoshop. Scott's logical work flow works well for his audience and I think the response to this book and his new approach will be more than positive. His book is a great read for intermediate and advanced photographers and designers. For beginners (and law enforcement), there may be a bit of a struggle to connect with the discussion at first. Please, don't let that discourage you from diving in. Grab the example files and give it a go.

Don't worry, law enforcement / forensic  image folks; I've got you covered. Help is on the way. Hopefully, right after the first of the year my book will be available. In the mean time, you can get Scott's book from Amazon by clicking here.

Enjoy.

No comments: